Frequently Asked Questions
6. When should parents keep their QCS student home from school?
Do not come to QCS if you have any ONE of the following:
• Body temperature of 100 degrees or higher any time in the previous 24 hours
• Persistent cough
• Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
• Vomiting or diarrhea
• Body chills
• Loss of taste or smell
Do not come to QCS if you have any TWO of the following:
• Body aches
• Sore throat
• Runny nose or congestion
Do not come to QCS if you are required to quarantine due to recent international travel.
Please see the QCS Board policy on international travel.
10. What if a student has recently returned from traveling out of Haiti?
The QCS board of education, with legal guidance and with respect to MSPP mandates constructed the QCS policy on students and QCS employees who travel internationally. The board policy is shared here.
“Any Quisqueya Christian School (QCS) student, teacher, employee, contractor or volunteer who travels to Haiti from overseas for any reason will be allowed to enter the QCS campus under the following conditions, that are in line with instructions from the
Ministry of Health's (MSPP's) circular of July 8, 2020 for all travelers to and from Haiti:
1. The QCS student, teacher, employee, contractor or volunteer submits to QCS a negative test result for COVID-19 that had been obtained no more than 72 hours
before boarding their flight to Haiti,
2. In the event that the QCS student, teacher, employee, contractor or volunteer is not able to submit a negative test result for COVID-19, the person in question has self-quarantined at home for 14 calendar days after her/his arrival in Haiti.
3. QCS board of education has also approved the option of a COVID-19 test taken in Haiti and showing negative results.
QCS recommends that all QCS students, teachers, employees, contractors or volunteers who travel to Haiti from overseas travel with one or more copies of the COVID-19 test results/report in case the original is held at the airport.
Because the COVID-19 pandemic situation is a rapidly evolving one, QCS reserves the right to amend this policy statement as often as is necessary to reflect the reality on the ground as it concerns the pandemic in general and the related guidance or instructions received from the pertinent authorities.
1. What time does school start and end at QCS?
7:30am = Gates are opened for students to arrive at QCS.
8:00am = Classes start for all grade levels. Including Mondays.
2:30pm = Elementary students are dismissed. This includes grades Pre-K, K, 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5.
2:45pm = Middle School students are dismissed. Grades 6, 7 & 8.
3:00pm = High School students are dismissed. Grades 9, 10, 11, 12.
3:30pm = All students are to be picked up and off QCS campus. Any student not picked up by 3:30 will be assisted to the chapel to wait for parents to arrive. Late families will be charged $5 for the first 15 minutes and $1 for each additional minute late.
Please visit “What are the morning drop-off procedures?” and “What are the afternoon pick-up procedures?” for more information.
2. What are the morning drop-off procedures?
1) The QCS gate on Delmas 77 will open at 7:30am.
2) Vehicles will pull into the QCS parking lot and will be directed by QCS staff.
All people are to remain in the vehicle.
4) Students will roll their window down for a temperature check.
5) If the temperature of the student is below 100 degrees they will be permitted to
exit the vehicle and walk immediately to class. All students must wear a face
covering to ext the vehicle and as they walk to class.
6) If the temperature of the student is above 100 degrees the student will not be
permitted to stay on the QCS campus. Later in the day follow up will be made
by the QCS nurse.
7) If a student drives to school they will be directed where to park by QCS
employees. The student will wait in the vehicle until passing the needed
8) Parents and drivers are not to leave their vehicle.
3. What are the afternoon pick-up procedures?
Please see the “What time does school start and end at QCS?” button.
1) The QCS gate on Delmas 77 will open at 2:30pm.
2) Vehicles will pull into the QCS parking lot and will be directed to park by QCS staff.
All people are to remain in their vehicle.
4) A QCS staff member will communicate by “walkie-talkie” the name of the QCS student to be picked up.
5) Students will be released from their class when their name is called. Students are to go directly to their vehicle. All students must wear a mask as they transition from their class to their vehicle.
6) Students in grades Pre-K, K, 1, 2 & 3 will be walked by a QCS staff member to their vehicle.
7) All students are to be picked up and off QCS campus by 3:30pm. Any student not picked up by 3:30 will be assisted to the chapel. Late families will be charged $5 for the first 15 minutes and $1 for each additional minute late.
5. What if a QCS student needs to leave school early?
If a student needs to be picked up early from school it is mandatory to call ahead. The QCS office numbers are: 2816-3000 & 2816-4000. After passing a temperature screening parents should come to the main QCS office. Office personnel will assist in getting students from class.
14. Are parents and visitors allowed on QCS campus?
In an effort to reduce exposure from outside sources, QCS will limit parents and visitors at QCS.
Parents please call the main QCS office if you need to come on campus.
The office numbers are: 2816-3000 & 2816-4000.
Parents please be advised that you will need to pass a temperature screening before coming on campus. After please go directly to the QCS main office. All parents are required to wear a face covering while at QCS.
Any visitors allowed on QCS campus will need to pass a temperature check and wear a face covering while on QCS campus.
13. What is QCS policy on Face Coverings?
The face covering policy may change as the COVID-19 situation evolves. At this time, it is impossible to predict how long it may need to last. We will certainly be overjoyed to remove this face covering policy when deemed safely appropriate for students and staff.
1) QCS students will be required to wear face coverings on campus before, during, and after school except when socially distanced six feet or more, and only as instructed by a teacher or staff member. Some of these instances in a student’s day may include: lunch, outside opportunities, and smaller class sizes or larger spaces where students are safely distanced 6 feet from one another.
2) All QCS faculty and staff are required to wear face coverings during the school day at all times, except when alone in their assigned workspace or classroom. Teachers will wear a face shield in place of a mask while teaching to increase communication.
3) Face coverings may include a gaiter, a face mask, or a face shield. Gaiters and face masks must safely cover one’s nose and mouth and be fully secured. Face shields need to cover the entire face and extend below the chin. Students should bring their own fresh, clean face covering to school every day.
4) Masks or face coverings should be plain or patterned, appropriate in nature, and have no lettering or symbols (except for a QCS logo). Administration will make the final decision if a mask or face shield is appropriate and meets necessary requirements.
7. What happens if a student or teacher shows COVID-19 symptoms at QCS?
If a student or QCS employee presents any possible COVID-19 symptoms, the nurse will complete a health assessment. The QCS employee would be sent home immediately. QCS parents would be contacted to pick up their student immediately. QCS has a quarantine room for employees or staff to receive medical attention while also keeping proper distance from others.
A student/staff member may return to QCS campus once the following steps have been taken:
• a negative COVID-19 test
• no fever without the use of fever-reducing medicines
• felt well for 24 hours
• provide a doctor’s note.
9. What happens if a QCS student or teacher tests positive for COVID-19?
In order for a student/staff member who tested positive for COVID-19 to be allowed to return to campus they must be able to answer YES to the following questions:
Has it been at least 10 days since the individual first had symptoms?
Has it been at least 3 days since the individual had a fever without the use of fever-
Has it been at least 3 days since the individual’s symptoms have improved including
cough and/or shortness of breath?
Has a doctor given a note indicating that the student/staff member is COVID-19 free?
8. What happens if someone at QCS is exposed to an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19?
Any person that has been in contact with an infected person (example: was less than 6 feet away from the individual for 10 minutes or more) will need to be quarantined for 14 days and continue with DL instruction. Those individuals quarantined due to contact tracing may secure testing after 7 days of quarantine. Earlier testing is not recommended due to the potential of “false positive” results. Absences due to health screening restrictions will not be counted as school day absences assuming the student continues with DL.
If a case of COVID-19 appears on campus, QCS will close the division affected. (Elementary, Middle, and/or High School). The area will remain closed for 1-2 days to conduct deep cleaning. Students and teachers in that division will use DL during those specific days.
12. What cleaning measures will QCS be taking?
QCS classrooms will be equipped with hand sanitizer, disinfectant spray, and paper towels. Hand washing stations will be placed at various locations around campus. Common areas including the cafeteria will be cleaned & sanitized by janitorial staff throughout the day. Evening janitorial staff will clean and disinfect the entire QCS facility. Elementary classroom doors and windows will be kept open to allow ventilation and airflow. Secondary classrooms will regularly have windows and doors opened to allow for airflow. Shared equipment in computer labs will be maintained with a protocol of surface cleaning between every use. Teachers are encouraged to utilize outdoor instructional space when possible. Teachers may require people in their classrooms to wear a mask. Please see “What is QCS policy on Face Coverings?”
Upon entering the classroom students will sanitize their hands. Students will be instructed not to share items with their classmates.
Healthy reminders and social distancing guidelines are displayed throughout QCS for students and staff. These include: Stay 6 feet apart when possible, Proper and frequent hand washing, and how to stop the spread of germs.
Fire drills and lockdown drills will be modified to maintain proper physical distancing to the greatest extent possible.
11. Will QCS students still have recess and Physical Education?
Recess schedules will be modified to allow small groups of students at a time. PE classes will continue. Contact sports will not be permitted. Recreational and sports equipment will be regularly cleaned and sanitized.
4. What is QCS planning for snacks and lunch time?
To start the school year all QCS students will need to bring their snacks and lunch from home. QCS will not be serving hot lunch nor snack items including drinks. Microwaves will not be available until further notice. QCS will revisit this policy after a few weeks.